Monday, August 27, 2012

On Connections....

I made a really good connection with a Filipino... Or shall I say he made a really good connection with me. Here is how it went.
It was 7:30 at night and I was heading home from dinner at the big house. The quickest way home is through a dark alley lined with tethered roosters, playful kittens, smoking men (Meaning men who are smoking.... as in cigarets), children of all shapes and sizes, and MahJong players. There is also a semi-open sewer/gutter, and the leavings of all animals. Televisions blare from every shack you pass, and each person greats you. A dog yips from behind a closed gate. You duck under laundry lines, and step over the water pipe. Even though you cannot see much, there is a street light somewhere in the distance, beckoning you. Suddenly, I heard a little voice greeting the girls in front of me... "Hah-low!  Hah-low!"
Giggles from the girls in front of me. A little face appears, beside me now. A round faced little boy with buzz cut head. "Hah-low!" Oh! Is this one ever cute! And suddenly,
                 I get the urge....
                             the one all of us know....
                                                 to rub the top of that cute fuzzy little head.
Smiling his ever-ready smile, the little boy looked up at me. Then suddenly, he drew back and threw a punch! He made contact too... right on.....the place upon which I am accustomed to sitting! I was a bit startled, as you may imagine, and I said "Wow!" He responded by repeating the connection (a very well made connection, I assure you) and running off!
 In his defense, that is probably about as high as he could reach.

As you can see, I am developing some connections here in the Philippines.
Night = Made.

2 comments:

  1. :D I found interactions like this (well... not quite like this - I've never been punched in the behind by a small Filipino boy...) so comforting in Africa. It helped me remember that people are people (and children are children) wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You touched the spiritual part of his body... (not polite...)

    ReplyDelete