Friday, August 3, 2012

On The Way...


I rode past the apartments where grandma used to live. Years ago, when I was a tiny girl, I was scared when the train whistled… For many years after that, I was petrified by trains. Mom says trains are about the only thing I was ever scared of. And here I go, riding one for the next two days. Past my hometown, past the DMV where I passed my drivers test, past the college that hosted so many music camps I attended. Beginning an adventure that will take me to who-knows-where. And I am excited.

If this isn’t adventure, I’m not sure what is. I’m seeing a whole new side to my country… from sea to shining sea (well, not quite)! Fields of sunflowers, amazing rock formations, tall mountains, and wide rivers. There was the extra-long trailer that had a front porch, and proudly sported the name ‘Hotel’.  The families that live in the dumpiest trailer home you ever did see, but had a RV worth tens of thousands of dollars stored in their yard. Small, quaint tons, and huge railroad grounds, trestles that have no rails, and you feel as though you were flying. Tiny, shack-like houses and giant farming operations. This country is full of adventure… new sights to be seen around every curve.

There are friends to be made too. The sweet Amish family, traveling as far as Montana. I remind them of their Aunt Beth, they say… you know, she’s their favorite aunt. The look of surprise on the children’s faces when I pulled out, of all things, Dutch Blitz…. an Amish game. That priceless night of fun I had with three cheerful Amish kids as we played Blitz, Human Uno, and told silly stories. 

Then there was the Mennonite family that joined me at 5am. Sweet, sweet kids, and a 7month old bouncing baby boy to boot! Dear me! The jolly times we’ve had. Sitting four girlies in a seat built for two…. Perfect for telling all the silly jokes and stories that appeal to little girls. Such happy giggling as the bone-weariness of two days on a train set in.

Then there was the bus transfer… Totally unplanned. I guess the rails were messed up. Hello 6 hour bus ride! The good news was, I got a free sub out of the deal. Free food is always good news. After that, Larissa, one of my co-students, and I took the Portland light rail. What a sight we made! Bag and baggage quite literally as both of us sported two large suitcases, two carry-ons, and a bag of food. And Here I am, finally, safe and sound, ready for the next leg of my journey!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to be following you on your adventure!
    Love you and praying for you my friend!

    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to quite enjoy reading these posts. Praying for you dear-rachelle

    ReplyDelete