Sunday, September 2, 2012

On Another Big Night...

 So Friday night was another big night for me.
I helped to name a baby.
"How did this happen?" you may ask. Good question. In fact, I was just about to tell you.

At about 1:58 pm a woman came into the clinic at which I volunteer. She was very buntis (pregnant). Before we even finished endorsements (the passing on of information at shift changes), Karen and I went in to be with her. This woman was stoic. Usually, you can kinda tell if a woman is about 5 minutes from giving birth. Seriously though at 2:40.... you would never have known. I was told, at about 2:47 pm that we might be able to see some head with the next busog (contraction). This is how it went:
1cm visible
3cm
5..6..7..head out!
with nucal hand
baby out! 
I grabbed a clip board, and started writing things furiously, as all of these things need to be recorded in her charts as they happen... and I'm not even 'allowed' to chart at this point! The time, as the first gasping cries were heard, was 2:48. In less than 60 seconds, a little life was brought to light and begun.
A few hours later, we went in to bathe, measure, and check the baby. They didn't have a name for him, we were told... could we pick a name? Karen and I looked at each other, aghast. Name your baby?! So we prayed over the little fellow, and started talking about names. The result?

Meet baby Noah. May his family follow him to God, just as Noah's family followed. God, please make baby Noah a leader in his generation...A man faithful to You!

Another remarkable incident from Friday night was the 7.9 earthquake. Boy does that ever feel weird! It lasted a good 2 minutes or so (felt more like 15). You feel kinda dizzy for a while after... it sorta feels like riding a small raft on a river. Praise God for keeping us all safe! Yay for first experiences!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! hi, Melissa, thanks for the great details & photos!! I am truly living vicariously! It surely sounds as if you are right where God wants you. We miss you terribly. Keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep posting! There is plenty to write about. So much to experience! I love it here, but I do miss home. Thanks for keeping in touch.

      Delete