Friday, February 8, 2013

On the Importance of Curtains....

 I have developed a new relationship with curtains since being here.
I have learned that sometimes curtains are stronger than walls.

The birth room with all curtains open
 Walls surrounding childbirth in this country are designed to keep people out. Giving birth within walls means shutting out your husband, sister, and everyone else you want near you. It means a room full of women who are also giving birth, with complete audio-visual affects. It means the Staff is always right, and the patient must respond without question. Giving birth within walls means no right to privacy or modesty. It means giving up the choice of what is done to your body. Walls erase your face, and make you another number, another chart, another procedure.


A peak inside one 'room'
In this place, curtains tell a different story. They take the 'visual' out of the audio-visual presentation. Curtains speak of choices. They invite husbands and sisters and friends. They protect women from curious eyes. They allow freedom to move around and encourage mothers to actively participate in their labor. Curtains speak of a midwife who will support these women, and follow up with postpartum checkups. They tell stories of women who are given choices rather than orders, and 'rooms' that will be adapted to suit the specific needs of each birth.

The curtain room from the outside

I've come to love these curtains and all that they stand for. I love the fact that mothers and babies are not separated. I love that emergency equipment is all nearby, but not hovering ominously inside the room. I love that when we're really, really busy, it is possible to draw the curtain slightly and help with two births simultaneously. I love that they help to empower women, and allow brand new families to hang out and get to know each other.
 


I love walking into the birth room and knowing the name the mommy and baby who are waiting for me to do a checkup. I love teaching new daddies how to give their squalling bundle of joy it's first bath.

Yup, I'm pretty sure I will never feel the same about curtains again.

No comments:

Post a Comment