Monday, February 25, 2013

The Battle of My Heartsong...

I forgot I was fighting a war.

I fought a few battles and won. Then I lived so long in the victory, that I didn't notice how my enemy had sneaked up on me. Before I even realized I was in danger, he had a well laid siege.
A full out battle would've been too obvious.
And now, in the words of the song, he's really been trying.

   Killing me softly, with his song...
....and with his distractions... and his busyness... and with all the little things that aren't bad or wrong, but they eat up all your time.... and strumming my easily distracted heart with his fingers, all the while singing a gentle lullaby designed to sooth me to sleep. He taught me to sing a bridge when I should've been singing the chorus.

Suddenly the tap tap tap... of the Conductor's wand on the music stand caught my attention.
Or was that knocking I heard at my heart's door? And I realized I was playing the wrong part, fighting the wrong battles. This wasn't the work of my Composer I was playing. My heart was screeching out  a harmony line to someone else's tune. It didn't fit so well with the Symphony I claimed to be playing for.

It had been a while since I allowed my heartstrings to be tuned to His pitches, and my bow poised, filled with His arrows.  Too long since the battle cry rang true and strong, and the sound of my life gave purpose and vision rather than humming a soothing lullaby. Too long since I listened to the voice of the conductor call out a battle plan, and I simply reported for duty.

Instead of charging the enemy that surrounded me, I set up my picnic and sang along with his song. I limited my sound track to the genre he pointed out, singing his covers when my Comander-In-Chief had written me originals. Because the live performance was hard, a nap didn't hurt like battle wounds.

And all the while I forgot I was fighting a war.

The new song I'm singing is one of victory, and the chorus sounds heavenly. I have interrupted the good-night kiss-of-death with the battle cry of worship. Neither I nor my fellow soldiers will be casualties of this war, but together our lives will blend into a new song. And at the end of our piece, when we take our bow, we will also cast our crowns before the throne of the great Composer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! So inspirational, so Scriptural, so blessed!! I'm convicted of my own songlessness and you've put a fire in my spirit to sing that new song with our Savior once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad I could encourage you with truth from my own life. May I ask who you are? :-)

    ReplyDelete