Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Big little Things...

I have titled this post with a complete contradiction. This is an anomaly which I often stop to ponder. Allow me to explain.

I believe my God does BIG things. He is a mountain moving, storm calming, dead raising, universe creating God. Those things, when I stop to think about them, are awesome and powerful. It is beyond my comprehension. When I try to understand God's magnitude through these things, I am forced to my knees.

Because God is BIG.

Now I also believe my God does little things. His is a soft speaking, day brightening, need meeting, desire granting God. These things, when I try to wrap my mind around them, are sometimes more difficult to understand than the BIG things. When I try to understand God, the God of the little things, through my understanding of my BIG God, I am awed by His love.

Who else has this love?

How do we understand a God who orchestrates a universe, and yet cares to hear about our bad day? I want to tell you a few stories.


Pocket Change

This is a story about a God who cares about answered prayer. I mentioned (see previous post) that I'd totaled my car recently. Well, following the accident, I asked God to allow me to at least break even with towing expenses. I knew that the tires on my car were good, and scrap prices were high, so I was pretty sure I could cover tow fees, and come out even, or a little ahead. Well, long story short, my tow company wasn't very accommodating or honest with me. So I contacted a junk yard. They agreed to pay me $245 for my totaled car. When I called the tow company, they expected to charge me $248.16. I was so thankful. I felt that $3.16 was not too bad.... pretty close to breaking even, actually.

But God was not through.

When I showed up to pay my bill and sign my title over to the junk yard, the lady calculated my bill at $242.88. Tears came to my eyes as I realized that God had SPECIFICALLY answered my prayer. I made $2.12 on the deal! But I learned so much more.

He cares enough to concern Himself with $5.28.



All My Needs


God has promised to meet All my needs according to His riches in glory. As I've been preparing for my journey to The Philippines, I've been trusting Him to do just that. One day, I posted on facebook, looking to crowdsource my research on e-readers. I was leaning toward purchasing a Kindle, but I wanted some input. Within a few hours, someone texted me and offered to GIVE me a Kindle Touch. Through this kind friend, God chose to meet my need. He knew what I needed, and put it on someones heart to meet that need. Because God cares about details.


I want to call these things The BIG little Things. It is the very little-ness of these things that makes them BIG. Because a BIG God humbled Himself enough to care about little things, and the little people they concern. It is things like this that make me so happy to give my little life to my BIG God. It is things like this that humble me, and stand as a testimony to the faithfulness of my BIG God.

No comments:

Post a Comment