Thursday, March 15, 2012

Just an Innocent Monday....

It started as an ordinary Monday. Wake up, grab a quick breakfast, out the door to work. I pray on my way into work, prepping for my day. Traffic is heavy and I am running late. The new construction zone on the freeway ISN'T helping. All at once, traffic comes to a sudden stop. I come to a sudden stop. The squeal that means my breaks are locked.... and yet, I can't stop. The simultaneous bang of bumper against bumper, the explosion as two airbags go off near my face, and the sickening, lurching CRUNCH that was my car. In that split second, my lifestyle changed.





In the seconds that followed, 1027.43 thoughts went through my mind.


"I'm ok"



"It's totaled"



"God, you give, and you take away, blessed be your name."



"How will I get to work"



"I should call home"



And I realized my lifestyle would change.



Fast forward about two hours. I am sitting in my desk at work. I need to write an email to cancel my plans for tonight. My email opens and I see I have new messages. Suddenly, my throat constricts and my heart rate doubles as I read the subject line of one. Application Decision. I am trembling as I click the email. Oh great, an attachement.... My breath comes in short gasps now.



loading attachement......



God! I don't know if I can take this in! My silent prayers are a jumble of thoughts and feelings. I skim frantically through the letter.... Dear Melissa......pleased.......congratulations!..formally accepted. And in that split second, my life changed. The emotions, already so near the surface with all that I've already been through today threaten to take control. My hands are literally trembling. I'm going. God! You are so good! I cannot take this all in! It's too much for one day!



In that moment, eight years of waiting and praying became clear. The door was opened, and the next two years of my life are planned. In that moment I saw the cry of my heart filled. "Oh Lord, I ask for the nations."







No comments:

Post a Comment