Wednesday, May 9, 2012

But I don't Get It....

But I don't get it....
I was thinking about some different situations in my life. Things that have brought me pain. Situations God has allowed, but I don't understand.
Loved ones taken... seemingly prematurely.
Friendships lost.... seemingly unnecessarily.
Conflict.... unresolved
Needs... unmet
Things I cannot make sense of.
Why?
God has a reason for everything He does; for all that He allows. Sometimes, we can see those reasons. Even days, weeks, or years later, the reasons begin to become clear. Other times, it requires faith. That recent pain, so fresh in my heart, and I cannot find an answer.
Why God?
What are you trying to teach me?
Like a loving Father, He is there. The pain that He allows is for my good. It may be like the pain of discipline required to teach a child not to run into the street.... a temporary, but necessary pain. Or, it may be like teaching a child moderation in consumption of cookies... a life lesson in self-denial and temperance, ultimately for well-being of the child. The benefits of the first are immediately realized. The second may only be realized later in life, or never completely understood. But both are for good.

I don't understand this pain, but I'm learning that part of faith is giving up the right to understand. I don't understand why God would allow something that seems so good to be taken from me. I don't see a reason.
But I will trust.

Why?
Why will I trust?
How can I know that God isn't just treating me with cruel hands, playing with my emotions, breaking my heart?
Because there are other things that I don't understand.
I don't understand why God has chosen to love me.
I don't know why He chooses to give me grace rather than justice.
I don't understand why He doesn't give up.
I don't understand why He has chosen to use me on the mission field.
I don't get it.

This lack of understanding lends perspective to the other. It shows me God's heart toward me.
It teaches me to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment